hbase-dev mailing list archives

From rajeshbabu chintaguntla <rajeshbabu.chintagun...@huawei.com>
Subject RE: Design review: Secondary index support through coprocess
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:08:20 GMT
Sorry for the late reply. I was on vacation last 10 days.

> For folks that haven't been following the issue some high-level "how it all
> kinda works" would be helpful from the championing commiters; that's a long
> doc to get through and grok :). How similar is this to the work currently
> by the existing indexing implementations (huawei, Phoenix, ngdata)? The doc
> doesn't really nail down the interactions, but instead just right in after
> describing why SI should be added.

This is local indexing solution from Huawei, will compare it with Phoenix,ngdata and update
the details in the doc.

> for instance, the doc talks about how to implement indexing for
> floats... That might be a default impl, but for use cases like Phoenix this
> would break all our current encodings.

I agree with you. This can be more pluggable. Actually we wanted to make use of ordered bytes
currently supported in hbase.

> IMHO, it would be valuable if the design considered both a global
> indexing solution and a local indexing solution. Both are useful in
> different circumstances. The global indexing design plus the
> application integration points could be derived from Jesse's work with
> his reference implementation in Phoenix - the global indexing code has
> no Phoenix dependencies and clearly defined integration points.

We are happy to do this, will go through the global indexing solution and the integrating
points in Phoenix. I will discuss with you/Jesse for any help.

Thanks.
Rajeshbabu.
> For folks that haven't been following the issue some high-level "how it all
> kinda works" would be helpful from the championing commiters; that's a long
> doc to get through and grok :). How similar is this to the work currently
> by the existing indexing implementations (huawei, Phoenix, ngdata)? The doc
> doesn't really nail down the interactions, but instead just right in after
> describing why SI should be added.

+1 on the above sentiment for this or any other big feature.  It would help
get more folks involved in the reviewing process.
St.Ack