hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.0 release candidate is available for download
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2014 21:22:55 GMT
Probably not related to this RC specifically.

I tried to upgrade my HBase 0.94 data to 0.98.
The first time I started HBase the master died, because I did not confiure short circuit reads
correctly.

The problem is that on each subsequent start the master dies with:

master.HMaster: Unhandled exception. Starting shutdown.
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.FileSystemVersionException: HBase file layout needs to be upgraded.
You have version 7 and I want version 8.  Is your hbase.rootdir valid?  If so, you may need
to run 'hbase hbck -fixVersionFile'

The problem is that I cannot run hbck, since it fails to contact the master, but the master
does not start, because of this issue, and hence there is no easy way to fix.
It seems one gets one chance to upgrade the HBase metadata, and if that fails it won't be
attempted again.

-- Lars

________________________________
 From: Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org>
To: "dev@hbase.apache.org" <dev@hbase.apache.org>
Cc: "user@hbase.apache.org" <user@hbase.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2014 11:32 AM
Subject: [VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.0 release candidate is available for download

The 1st HBase 0.98.0 release candidate (RC0) is available for download at
http://people.apache.org/~apurtell/0.98.0RC0/ and Maven artifacts are also
available in the temporary repository
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1001/

Signed with my code signing key D5365CCD.

HBase 0.98.0 is the next major release after HBase 0.96. It is expected to
be wire compatible with HBase 0.96, so clients and servers mixed between
these versions will seamlessly interoperate, provided new features
available in 0.98 are not enabled. However, the HBase 0.98.0 release is not
intended to be binary compatible at the Java API level with any HBase 0.96
release or earlier. You may need to recompile applications which reference
the HBase JARs. Users of HBase 0.94 will have to perform an offline data
migration procedure during upgrade. Consult the HBase Online Manual for
more information. It is not necessary to migrate data from 0.94 to 0.98
through 0.96, you can upgrade from 0.94 to 0.98 directly if desired
following the same procedure for upgrading from 0.94 to 0.96.

This release includes several new security features like per-cell
visibility labels, per-cell ACLs, transparent encryption, and related
changes to the coprocessor framework. Please see the Security section of
the HBase Online Manual for more information. There are also significant
improvements, such as a change to the write ahead log (WAL) threading model
that provides higher transaction throughput under high load. The list of
changes in this release can be found here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12323143

Please try out the candidate and vote +1/-1 by midnight Pacific Time (00:00
-0800 GMT) on February 1 on whether or not we should release this as
0.98.0.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy