hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Committing bug and test fixes to branches
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 23:09:23 GMT
We currently have 4 branches (0.94, 0.96, 0.98, and trunk).
For bug and test fixes, do we really need the release managers to agree to every single check-in.
Andy
 currently wants to stabilize the tests in 0.98 so looking at every
change there makes sense and was specifically requested by him.

What about 0.94, 0.96, and trunk. I do not feel like I need to be pinged for every bug/test
fix for 0.94.

 would propose that committers use good judgment and commit small
changes to fix bugs and tests to any branch without a nod from the RMs, unless specifically
request as with 0.98. If we can't trust a committer with that, (s)he should not be a committer.
For larger fixes and any new feature the RMs should be pinged of course.

Related to this, it seems we're a little loose with trunk as in "It's OK it's just trunk".
Trunk will become a release eventually and IMHO we should aim for keeping trunk in a releasable
state as much as this is possible.
If we had done that before 0.96, Stack would not have had to face the superhuman task of getting
0.96 back to a releasable state.

Does trunk need a release manager?

Comments?

-- Lars