hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Shelukhin <ser...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Purpose of versions in HBase...
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2013 17:56:11 GMT
I suspect the honest answer would be "because BigTable paper had it" :P

There are several aspects to cell versioning (I may be missing some).
First (not the most important), due to the way HBase stores things
(write-once files), it comes very cheaply - very little runtime cost, and
not so much code needs to be written to have it.
Second, internally, versioning allows for snapshot isolation (within a
server) to work - with multiple versions present, scanners can read all
ones to get a consistent view (that's MVCC).
Third, user-visible, timestamp-based cell versioning is there so that users
could control the order of things (e.g. delete all cells before...), either
thru fabricated timestamps, or using external timestamps, e.g. from
external logs. In fact, with current HBase implementation of auto-ts (there
are JIRAs to fix it), that's the only "bulletproof" way to use HBase;
internal HBase versioning relies on server clocks, which is fraught with
peril (granted, most systems will rarely hit this problems, and may be ok
with some reordering anyway).
Fourth, multi-versions as such could be used for some application specific
scenarios, Percolator paper is a good example.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE