hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: Beware of PREFIX_TREE block encoding
Date Sun, 20 Oct 2013 02:34:14 GMT
What I wanted to say by this? HBase still does not have block encoding which is optimal for
both scan and seek (re-seek).
I do not think these goals are mutually exclusive.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

From: Vladimir Rodionov [vladrodionov@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2013 7:32 PM
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Beware of PREFIX_TREE block encoding

The scan performance is bad. 10 x slower on my tests than for blocks with
NONE encoding. I scan data directly from block cache through
StoreFileScanner (bypassing all StoreScanner/KeyValueHeap stuff). It should
be clearly stated  that this encoding degrades overall performance
significantly in favor of data size reduction and is suitable only for Gets
- not for Scans.

Best regards,
-Vladimir Rodionov

-