hbase-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Elliott Clark <ecl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HEADSUP: Working on new 0.96.0RC
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2013 21:52:14 GMT
On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Devaraj Das <ddas@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> For the 0.96.0 version, can we not say that "merge" should be used
> with caution.

I would feel very uncomfortable with that.  Telling people to just
hope that the servers don't crash while a merge is going on seems like
an unwise strategy.  Crashing or power failures are completely beyond
users control. Since we have a proposed fix it seems better to me,
that we hold off on this.  Get the tests done.  Then get the patch in,
and start another round of testing.

Also the master not coming back up, while not a known data loss issue
like 9696 is very concerning.  We should get to the bottom of this.
It's making TestMTTR fail, along with others sporadically.

We've taken > 1.5 years on this release and we're on the home stretch.
 We should make sure this is a really stable and quality release and
not try and rush it.  Right now we're failing IT tests left and right.
 We can't even pass an ingest test that lasts 4 hours.  That's
something I can't see myself recommending to anyone in it's current
state.  So that seems to me something that we shouldn't release.  And
if we put up an RC now then we just know that it's going to fail IT
tests and so will probably be a failed RC.

I want this release out as badly as anyone else but I'd rather we have
something that people can really and truly trust and not just
something we have rushed.

View raw message