hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Rolling restart from 0.92 to 0.94
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2013 21:00:19 GMT
Shrijeet Paliwal just pointed me to this section in the HBase bookhttp://hbase.apache.org/upgrading.html#upgrade0.94
(thanks Shrijeet):

1.3. Upgrading from 0.92.x to 0.94.x
We used to think that 0.92 and 0.94 were interface compatible and that you can do a rolling
upgrade between these versions but then we figured that HBASE-5357 Use builder pattern in
HColumnDescriptor changed method signatures so rather than return void they instead return
HColumnDescriptor.  This will throw
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HColumnDescriptor.setMaxVersions(I)V
.... so 0.92 and 0.94 are NOT compatible.  You cannot do a rolling upgrade between them.

Is that statement actually correct? The issue here is binary code compatibility, which we
indeed do not support, but which does not impede rolling upgrades between versions (as long
as we're wire compatible between releases, which we are).

-- Lars

View raw message