hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: MAX_FILESIZE and hbase.hregion.max.filesize are both 10Gb
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2013 03:39:30 GMT
Yes, I pre-split the table

Out of 109 regions only 3 are empty (wrong assumption on key distribution),
If we split region on 10GB we will have > 500GB in 109 regions - not 376GB
I do not understand how does region splitting algorithm work.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

From: Jean-Marc Spaggiari [jean-marc@spaggiari.org]
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:50 PM
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: MAX_FILESIZE and hbase.hregion.max.filesize are both 10Gb

"Yes it works, of course." It's not working for me ;) so was not sure.

It's normal to have regions under the half of the MAX_FILESIZE. When a
regions is more than MAX_FILESIZE it's splitted in 2. So one can be more,
and the other one can be less.

I will say, average 5GB will have been a good value, but even 3.6 is still
not so bad.

Have you pre-splitted the regions initially? Is it possible that you have
not-used pre-splitted regions?

You can you Hannibal to have a quick view of what the sizes are

JM