hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: does append delete all cell versions except the last one?
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2013 03:31:00 GMT
Thanks, this is what I thought.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

From: Ted Yu [yuzhihong@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 8:07 PM
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: does append delete all cell versions except the last one?

In 0.94, from HRegion#append():

        // Actually write to Memstore now
        for (Map.Entry<Store, List<KeyValue>> entry :
tempMemstore.entrySet()) {
          Store store = entry.getKey();
          size += store.upsert(entry.getValue());
          allKVs.addAll(entry.getValue());
        }

Looking at MemStore.upsert():

   * Inserts the specified KeyValue into MemStore and deletes any existing

   * versions of the same row/family/qualifier as the specified KeyValue.
I would say that for 0.94, the behavior is expected.

For 0.95 / trunk, there is more freedom:

upsert behavior is kept if VERSIONS for this CF == 1
Otherwise the older versions are kept around.

Cheers