hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Marcus <robert.mar...@et-strategies.com>
Subject NIST Big Data Working Group, Open Source, and Standards
Date Fri, 19 Jul 2013 17:33:23 GMT
Alan, Arun, Devaraj:

 I am the industry and standards Co-Chair of NIST's Big Data Working Group Initiative.  Participants
include representatives of industry,  standards groups (SDOs), vendors, and academia, The
goals of the Working Group are to:
Develop Big Data Definitions
Develop Big Data Taxonomies
Develop Big Data Reference Architectures
Develop Big Data Technology Roadmap
Today I suggested that the NIST WG could encourage a dialog between the Open Source community
(e.g. Apache) and SDOs on possible future de jure standardization of interfaces based on existing
de facto standards (e.g. parts of the Hadoop ecosystem). This de jure interface standardization
would be beneficial for international and US government adoption. As a counterexample, in
the Cloud space there is a big gap between industry and SDO interface standards.

I would be interested in your perspective on the possibilities and potential mutual benefits
of a discussion among Open Source providers, NIST, and SDOs. Thanks.

Bob Marcus
Co-Chair of NIST Big Data Working Group
720-352-0784

P.S. An example of standardizing a core interface without precluding innovations is SQL for
relational databases.