hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Marcus <robert.mar...@et-strategies.com>
Subject Resend: NIST Big Data Working Group, Open Source, and Standards
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 04:26:48 GMT
Alan, Arun, Devaraj:

 I am the industry and standards Co-Chair of NIST's Big Data Working Group Initiative.  Participants
include representatives of industry,  standards groups (SDOs), vendors, and academia, The
goals of the Working Group are to:
Develop Big Data Definitions
Develop Big Data Taxonomies
Develop Big Data Reference Architectures
Develop Big Data Technology Roadmap
I have suggested that the NIST Big Data WG could encourage a dialog between the Open Source
community (e.g. Apache) and SDOs on possible future de jure standardization of interfaces
based on existing de facto standards (e.g. parts of the Hadoop ecosystem). This de jure interface
standardization would be beneficial for international and US government adoption.

I would be interested in your perspective on the possibilities and potential mutual benefits
of a Big Data discussion among Open Source solution providers, NIST, and SDOs. Thanks.

Bob Marcus
Co-Chair of NIST Big Data Working Group
720-352-0784