hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Lars Francke <lars.fran...@gmail.com>
Subject Extend the Hadoop QA bot to handle dependencies
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2013 09:27:55 GMT
Hi,

I don't know much (basically nothing) about how the Hadoop QA bot is
implemented but I have a suggestion for how it could be improved and
would like some opinions and maybe pointers.

Maven and dependency handling is a topic not very many people find
interesting. Understandably. But that means that often people
introduce dependencies without declaring them in the pom file (see
HBASE-8917[1] for one example but we had this problem before, years
ago). That often leads to weird errors at some point when an upstream
dependency changes.

There's a plugin[2] that can analyze dependencies and their usage and
report unused dependencies and used but undeclared ones (it's not
perfect but good enough). I think it'd be great if the Hadoop QA bot
could analyze a before and after snapshot of the output of this plugin
and do a -1 if anyone introduces a new dependency without declaring
it.

Does that sound like a good idea?

Cheers,
Lars