hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DISCUSS : HFile V3 proposal for tags in 0.96
Date Fri, 19 Jul 2013 18:01:30 GMT
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Elliott Clark <eclark@apache.org> wrote:

>  We already have the ability to version hfile.

It's not enough to version the file format, we have also found it necessary
change the block encoder interfaces to maintain good performance. After
several prototypes we arrived at V3 as the best option in our estimation
for doing that without disrupting a lot of really core critical code in use
now (V2). I will let Ram and Anoop elaborate as they've been the ones down
in the guts of HFile mostly.

> We've already all agreed on what features would make the train for 0.96.

Obviously we feel differently, so are raising this for your consideration.

For me, I have something I feel important (HBASE-6222) ready to go in to
0.96, and I would like to see it ship in 0.96, except for the lack of
inline tags support. I can fall back to an implementation which stores
metadata in a shadow column family instead of inline in the cell/KV, but
experiments have shown that suboptimal to the alternative, and then I would
need to consider migration. So I am +1 for inline tags and HFile V3 as the
least worst way of making that happen.

Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)