hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Burkert <dburk...@nearinfinity.com>
Subject Protobuf message style
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 22:45:15 GMT
Google's protobuf style guide (https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/style) lays
out the convention that message field names should be underscore_seperated and services should
be MixedCase.  The .proto's in trunk do not follow this style; instead they follow Java naming
conventions.  The protobuf compiler will automatically change the style of names to match
the language it is compiling for, but it is unable to do so if the protobuf style is not used.
 As a result, using the HBase proto files from languages with different naming conventions
than Java is a little bit more painful.

Since a core feature of moving to protobufs is opening the door to wire compatible implementations
in other languages, I think this may want to be addressed.  This commit (https://github.com/danburkert/hbase/commit/6f23cb3a0da99c0cd6dbc6ac7c548dffb833e106)
on my fork changes the naming convention in the protos.  As you can see, the resulting .java
files that the protobuf compiler puts out are functionally the same (with the same correct
Java naming style).  If requested I will happily create a JIRA and add the commit as a patch.

Dan Burkert