hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HBase read perfomnance and HBase client
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:14:57 GMT
Try to set "hbase.client.ipc.pool.size" to a larger number on your client. This is the number
of TCP connections the client will maintain for each region server it talks to. Default is
1.
Could also play with the pool type, but I would leave that at "round robin".

-- Lars

----- Original Message -----
From: Vladimir Rodionov <vrodionov@carrieriq.com>
To: "dev@hbase.apache.org" <dev@hbase.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:23 AM
Subject: HBase read perfomnance and HBase client

I have been doing quite extensive testing of different read scenarios:

1. blockcache disabled/enabled
2. data is local/remote (no good hdfs locality)

and it turned out that that I can not saturate 1 RS using one (comparable in CPU power and
RAM) client host:

I am running client app with 60 read threads active (with multi-get) that is going to one
particular RS and
this RS's load is 100 -150% (out of 3200% available) - it means that load is ~5%

All threads in RS are either in BLOCKED (wait) or in IN_NATIVE states (epoll)

I attribute this  to the HBase client implementation which seems to be not scalable (I am
going dig into client later on today).

Some numbers: The maximum what I could get from Single get (60 threads): 30K per sec. Multiget
gives ~ 75K (60 threads)

What are my options? I want to measure the limits and I do not want to run Cluster of clients
against just ONE Region Server?

RS config: 96GB RAM, 16(32) CPU
Client     : 48GB RAM   8 (16) CPU

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this message, including any attachments