hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-m...@spaggiari.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] The 1st hbase 0.94.9 release candidate is available for download
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2013 22:51:45 GMT
Here is my feedback.

- Downloaded the files, checked the signature, uncompressed, checked
changes.txt => Fine
- Checked the documentation => One page not found under "Ref Guide
(multi-page)" link on the index page. Should it be there?
- Ran the test suite on 2 different servers,
TestRegionObserverScannerOpenHook failed 10 times in a row with 8
thread, 4, 2 and 1.
- IntegrationTestLoadAndVerify => REFERENCES_CHECKED=985565 with
0.94.9 and REFERENCES_CHECKED=9855611 with 0.94.8. Don't know what to
deduct.
- integrationTestBigLinkedList => Fine
- HBCK still reporting fine after all those tests.

However, I have this exception many times on the logs, every 3 seconds:

2013-06-24 22:24:01,159 ERROR
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer: Closing scanner
for IntegrationTestLoadAndVerify,\xA8k\xCA\x1A\xF2\x86\xBC\x8A,1372126832536.31c325cb8ae32b1ed0f4c4667d787165.
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.NotServingRegionException: Region is not
online: IntegrationTestLoadAndVerify,\xA8k\xCA\x1A\xF2\x86\xBC\x8A,1372126832536.31c325cb8ae32b1ed0f4c4667d787165.
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.getRegion(HRegionServer.java:3509)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer$ScannerListener.leaseExpired(HRegionServer.java:2740)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.Leases.run(Leases.java:100)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

- Performed a rolling restart for the RS. 2500 regions to move
around... => Fine. Took 74 minutes. Changed to regoin_mover to
multhread, took 16 minutes.
- Looked at the master and region logs, everything seems to be ok.
- Merged all the regions from a table to a single region.
- Checked HBCK, one issue on one table which is not the one merged.
Issue was not there before the restarts, etc.  Few hbck repairs
repaired everything.
- Logs still good, table merged correctly.
- Triggered a major compaction, got the table splitted back to 36 regions.
- Ran the balalancer, region got spreaded over the nodes. => Fine, but
had to run it twice. First time 50% of the regions stayed assigned to
one RS.
- Stopped, restored my customed balancer, restart, rebalanced => Fine.
- Create table, put, scan, get, disable, drop, balance, list,
truncate_preserve, truncate from shell => Fine
- Ran one MR job (416 mappers), went well, nothing in the logs.

So to summarize: +1 ;) Even is there is 2 things to verify
(TestRegionObserverScannerOpenHook and NotServingRegionException). I
don't think they related to this release.

I will post the performances comparison later tonight or tomorrow.
(Need to add 0.94.8 also since I'm late),

JM

2013/6/24 Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-marc@spaggiari.org>:
> Oh! Cool! A new toy for the week!  ;)
>
> Thanks Lars! I will start right now to test it! (And I will do the
> remaining perf testing just after or in parallel...)
>
> 2013/6/24 lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org>:
>> The 1st 0.94.9 RC is available for download at http://people.apache.org/~larsh/hbase-0.94.9-rc0/
>> Signed with my code signing key: C7CFE328
>>
>> Like the previous point releases, 0.94.9 is a primarily a bug fix release. This RC
is comparatively small with 26 issues resolved against it:
>>     [HBASE-8453] - TestImportExport failing again due to configuration issues
>>     [HBASE-8494] - TestRemoteAdmin#testClusterStatus should not assume 'requests'
does not change
>>     [HBASE-8522] - Archived hfiles and old hlogs may be deleted immediately by HFileCleaner,
LogCleaner in HMaster
>>     [HBASE-8555] - FilterList correctness may be affected by random ordering of sub-filter(list)
>>     [HBASE-8590] - [0.94] BlockingMetaScannerVisitor should check for parent meta
entry while waiting for split daughter
>>     [HBASE-8639] - Poor performance of htable#getscanner in multithreaded environment
due to DNS.getDefaultHost() being called in ScannerCallable#prepare()
>>     [HBASE-8640] - ServerName in master may not initialize with the configured ipc
address of hbase.master.ipc.address
>>     [HBASE-8655] - Backport to 94 - HBASE-8346(Prefetching .META. rows in case only
when useCache is set to true)
>>     [HBASE-8656] - Rpc call may not be notified in SecureClient
>>     [HBASE-8671] - Per-region WAL breaks CP backwards compatibility in 0.94 for non-enabled
case
>>     [HBASE-8684] - Table Coprocessor can't access external HTable by default
>>     [HBASE-8700] - IntegrationTestBigLinkedList can fail due to random number collision
>>     [HBASE-8724] - [0.94] ExportSnapshot should not use hbase.tmp.dir as a staging
dir on hdfs
>>     [HBASE-8742] - HTableDescriptor Properties not preserved when cloning
>>     [HBASE-8743] - upgrade hadoop-23 version to 0.23.7
>>     [HBASE-8749] - Potential race condition between FSUtils.renameAndSetModifyTime()
and HFile/LogCleaner
>>     [HBASE-8762] - Performance/operational penalty when calling HTable.get with a
list of one Get
>>     [HBASE-8783] - RSSnapshotManager.ZKProcedureMemberRpcs may be initialized with
the wrong server name
>>     [HBASE-5083] - Backup HMaster should have http infoport open with link to the
active master
>>     [HBASE-8609] - Make the CopyTable support startRow, stopRow options
>>     [HBASE-8636] - Backport KeyValue Codec to 0.94 (HBASE-7413)
>>     [HBASE-8683] - Add major compaction support in CompactionTool
>>     [HBASE-8692] - [AccessController] Restrict HTableDescriptor enumeration
>>     [HBASE-8702] - Make WALEditCodec pluggable
>>     [HBASE-8504] - HTable.getRegionsInRange() should provide a non-cached API
>>     [HBASE-8603] - Backport HBASE-6921 to 0.94
>>
>> The full list of changes is also available here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12324431
>>
>> Please try out the RC, check out the doc, take it for a spin, etc, and vote +1/-1
by July 2nd on whether we should release this as 0.94.9.