hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>
Subject Re: Poor HBase random read performance
Date Sat, 29 Jun 2013 23:10:11 GMT
Another update. I reduced the block size from 32K (it seems i was running
with 32K initially not 64K) to 8K and bam, the throughput went from 4M
requests to 11M.

One interesting thing to note however, is that when I had 3 store files per
region, throughput on random reads was 1/3rd, this is understandable
because u need to bring in 3X the amount of blocks and then merge. However,
when I look at the leveldb benchmarks for non compacted vs compacted
tables, I wonder why they are able to do 65K reads per second vs 80K reads
per second when comparing compacted/non compacted files. It seems for their
benchmark - performance does not fall proportionaly with # of store files
(unless perhaps that benchmark includes bloom filters which I disabled).

Also, it seems the idLock issues was because of locking on IndexBlocks
which are always hot. Now idLock does not seem to be an issue when its only
locking up data blocks and for truly random reads, no data block is hot.