hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some HLog issues
Date Sat, 15 Jun 2013 02:34:53 GMT
We used to have group commit in HBase until Todd did the work to do
the same thing the DFSClient so we removed it.

J-D

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 5:25 PM, lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org> wrote:
> While looking at the HLog code I saw some funny methods that are *only* called from tests.
> For example:
>
>   public long append(HRegionInfo regionInfo, HLogKey logKey, WALEdit logEdit,
>                      HTableDescriptor htd, boolean doSync)
>

> which seems to be (almost) a carbon copy of:
>

>   private long append(HRegionInfo info, byte [] tableName, WALEdit edits, UUID clusterId,
>       final long now, HTableDescriptor htd, boolean doSync)
>

> I plan to remove the former.
>
> Second:
> Should we think about the notion of "group commits". Many relational databases delay
the commit of a transaction a bit in order to group multiple commits together.
> Only after all such grouped transactions are committed are the respective clients notified.
>
> HBase does a bit of this. If Puts hit the same RegionServer at the same time, the edits
get added to WAL and all outstanding edits are sync'ed at the end of the Put.
> We could widen the window by delaying this by (say) a second or so, and thus reduce the
number of hflushes (or more importantly hsyncs, once I finally get to adding them to HBase).