hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Francis Liu <tof...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Namespace Delimiter
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 01:44:15 GMT
> Francis, your proposal for auto-generating the namespaces looks good, but I
> am wondering whether the user might be surprised later when they find about
> the all the namespaces.

The ones that don't read the release notes will probably be surprised though I don't think
it'll be a big issue.
As it doesn't affect existing behavior, apart from not being able to create new tables with
dots.
And they only have to do extra work if they choose to start using namespaces the way it should
be.

> BTW, renaming a table will break snapshots, unless it is done as a clone /
> restore.

I see, clone/restore was one approach I had in mind to implement renaming.