hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hsieh <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Namespace Delimiter
Date Tue, 07 May 2013 23:43:17 GMT
I prefer using a delimiter that does not require migration.  As someone who
has to support a wide variety of users, this will cause much less confusion
from our users (and save me grief!)

>From the code [1], any symbol char other than '.', '_', or '-' would be an
ok delimiter.  howabout a ':' or '#'?

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Francis Liu <toffer@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> As part of the namespace patch (HBASE-8015). We will need a delimiter to
> separate namespace name from table name. The obvious choice here would be a
> dot '.'. Since dot is presently a valid character for table names that
> would require users to migrate their tables (ie renaming tables) as part of
> upgrade to 0.96. Another option is to use a different delimiter to avoid
> the table migration altogether. Thoughts?
> -Francis

// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// Software Engineer, Cloudera
// jon@cloudera.com