hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Cell Encoders and usage of Cell
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:28:58 GMT
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 8:19 PM, ramkrishna vasudevan <

> My questions were mainly because, if i have the current code  and i would
> want to introduce tags in it, where would i do it?

Good question.  If the read/write path currently does not support Cell-only
access, you are in a bit of a bind.

It would take some effort converting all to pure Cell.  Most would be just
grunt work but there are a few tricky spots (according to a quick survey
done by our LarsH).  If all was Cell on the read/write path, I'd imagine
it'd be easy enough getting your tags in the mix.

Until then, you are left w/ some sort of hack on KV.

> So if i need tags to be introduced should i start changing the HFile
> formats also and only then i would be getting the tags to work?
> What do you think here?

hfiles are versioned so we can up the version when we put a Cell API on it.
 Might be a bit of work though since will have to bring along the
compressors and block encoders and currently these are hard-coded to expect
KV and in particular KVs current serialization.

St.Ack