hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hsieh <...@cloudera.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Making hadoop 2 the default precommit for trunk ones we get green builds
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2013 00:34:45 GMT
tl;dr after we get hadoop2 build fixed, how about making hadoop2 the
default for trunk precommit and trunk jenkins jobs?

Over in HBASE-6891, we've fixed the unit tests with hadoop2 on trunk that
always fail or always hang.  We are getting close on getting the hadoop2 +
trunk build passing (right now there are a combination of tests that hang
sometimes or fail sometimes -- and I've seen a run where the hbase-server
module passed on hadoop2).

Initially I was thinking that we'd create a two-headed precommit script
that ran unit tests against trunk on hadoop1 and hadoop2.  This was far
down in a thread so may not have been considered by many folks.   I'd like
to suggest (actually Elliot's idea) that we set the default precommit trunk
build to be against hadoop2.  Over the "normal" jenkins runs, we'd move
trunk to hadoop2 as well.  We would however keep the 0.95 branch against
hadoop 1.x and would thus get coverage of much of the new code under both

This buys us two things:

1) We get coverage against hadoop2, which will likely be the post
singularity hbase should use as a default.
2) We end up having the same number of build jobs and avoid having two
separate hadoop2 hadoop1 precommit builds for trunk.

// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// Software Engineer, Cloudera
// jon@cloudera.com