hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: All ok w/ thrift2 going away in trunk/0.95?
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2013 22:37:50 GMT
> everything's protobuf except for a few fixed bit width length

No. Consider KeyValue. A gateway could be a useful laboratory for
experimenting with approaches like
http://kentonv.github.io/capnproto/encoding.html .

The difference is a gateway can offer a simpler API, or experiment in new
directions, while RPC must conform to expected interfaces (if we want it to
be useful with the current client).

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Elliott Clark <eclark@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm -0 on a protobuf gateway.  We already have a protobuf rpc
> (everything's protobuf except for a few fixed bit width length).
>
> While we could create a gateway that simplifies the client api, I
> don't think that gains us enough to warrant more gateways.  We already
> know that gateways are prone to getting overloaded, hard to keep in
> sync, and are large performance losses. I think we should keep the
> minimum number of gateways so that users starting out can get started
> early.  But they already have that with thrift or rest.
>
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Enis Söztutar <enis.soz@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > PB gateway is an interesting proposal. I always thought of just making
> our
> > PB RPC an api, but we are not there yet. If this will help us getting
> > close, I will be a big +1.
> >
> > Enis
> >

> > On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org
> >wrote:
> >
> >> That's an interesting idea, although maybe not what you meant: If we
> had a
> >> PB only API gateway (e.g. no "PBUF" markers, no Writables anywhere,
> etc.)
> >> then this might be a way to evolve RPC to that state informed by
> experience
> >> with said gateway.

> before,
> >> and