hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Marking fix version
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 17:10:03 GMT
Thank Jon,

I do not think we have to include anticipated future branches in the tags.
The release notes are not accumulative but list changes made for each release.

So if something is in 0.95.x a 0.96 tag neither needed nor wanted (IMHO) until we actually
have a *parallel* 0.96 branch.

That is why all 0.95+trunk changes *have* to be tagged with 0.98 as well, because at this
point the two branches are in parallel. Actually we should go through and make that so in

That means the 0.96 tag is not needed right now (and in fact will make just confusing, because
at the time we do release 0.96 we'll see the same issue in the release notes twice)

-- Lars

 From: Jonathan Hsieh <jon@cloudera.com>
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2013 8:40 AM
Subject: Marking fix version
Hey all,

I just wanted to make sure we are on the same page here when we committing
code and that we are consistent when marking fix version in the jira.  Its
pretty important that we get this right because our release notes are
generated from these as of 0.94.

Here's what I'm doing and suggesting

Commit only to trunk: Mark with 0.98
Commit to 0.95 and trunk : Mark with 0.98, 0.96, and 0.95.x
Commit to 0.94.x and 0.95, and trunk: Mark with 0.98, 0.96, 0.95.x, and
Commit to 89-fb: Mark with 89-fb.
Commit site fixes: no version

My understanding is that 0.96 will be a branch off of 0.95 -- so any fix to
0.95 is a fix to 0.96 until 0.96 branches.

// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// Software Engineer, Cloudera
// jon@cloudera.com