hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Bharath Ravi <bharathra...@gmail.com>
Subject Are there applications that directly use HBase's cache?
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:30:02 GMT
Hi HBase-dev,

I'm working on improving caching in HBase as a part of academic research.
I was wondering if you could help me answer some "how HBase is used"
questions.

1.Are there instances of real-time applications that rely on HBase's
datanode caching directly? I realize that many real-time applications
employ a caching layer (like memcached) in between their stores and
front-ends. Are there cases where HBase is used directly without an
intermediate caching layer?

2. If so, why is an intermediate caching layer not employed?

Note: by "real-time", I mean workloads that require immediate responses to
a user: say a web application or real-time analytics (unlike MapReduce jobs
that may be long running over several hours).

Thanks,
--
Bharath Ravi