hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Matteo Bertozzi <theo.berto...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: reason to do major compaction after split
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 23:09:22 GMT
On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:

> Any ideas on what migration from current format to the above would be like
> Matteo?  We'd read current layout, use it to populate a files table, new
> files would be written to a the new /hbase/data/ dir, and for a while we'd
> span the old and new locations?

If you have the possibility to shutdown the whole cluster, the way is easy
move all the hfiles in /hbase/data and populate the "files table".

If you can't, you just have to keep the current code able to been able read
the current fs layout and archiving
if there's something in that directory reads from that as today if not goes
to the file table.
on write (flush compactions) adds the new file to the "files table" and
/hbase/data