hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jimmy Xiang <jxi...@cloudera.com>
Subject Web UI for REST and Thrift
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2013 16:46:57 GMT
The web UI came with Hadoop provides some useful information about each
server: for example, jmx, metrics, stacks, log level, conf, and so on.

I was wondering should we add a web UI to REST and Thrift too, as we do for
master and region server.

REST is a little different.  It already hasa web server.  In working on
HBASE-7738, I tried to add jmx/metrics servlet to the existing REST web
server.
We have to add several knobs to avoid path mapping conflicts between the
new servlets and the existing REST paths.  I was wondering should we
use a separate web server on a different port for example 8085. For Thrift,
we can use 9095.  That's default port, can be configured.

The benefit to have another web server in REST is that we can get all
Hadoop http server features easily, and will never worry about path mapping
conflicts.  The cons is that it needs another port.

Thanks,
Jimmy