hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some notes from the HBase developer Pow-Wow
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 02:51:21 GMT
Sorry I couldn't make it up for the powwow.

Thanks Devaraj for the excellent notes.

On this part:

    -- Branching on a big feature was suggested -
       --- Issues: committer needs to be there
             Sergey: If the rate of change is high on common code (to
the branches)
then merging will be tough
       --- Jon: Refactor should be done in the main branch (since it doesn't
add any new funtionality)

I like how snapshots was branched and worked on collaboratively up in
GitHub.

It's pretty painless to rebase with git but painful to keep a branch up to
date with subversion then merge back (at least for me).

I have something in the works that has to be out of tree for a while
because it depends on new APIs for Hadoop Common. Was thinking it should go
up into GH in the meantime.

Makes sense for big features to go on a branch and then be subject to the 3
+1 rule for merge. More eyes on the change. Also makes sense for refactors
to be done in place. They may cause pain for work on a branch, but it's
less painful to merge in as it happens on the main branch than sort out
collisions later if a refactor and feature want to go in at about the same
time.

And on this part:

    - A bunch of discussions on the RPC with KeyValue/Cells

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)