hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Gabriel Reid <gabri...@ngdata.com>
Subject Replication sink selection strategy
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 16:37:06 GMT
Hi,

I was wondering if someone (perhaps Jean-Daniel, but anyone is welcome) could explain the
reasoning for the current peer sink selection logic within replication.

As it currently stands, a percentage (by default 10%) of the slave cluster's region servers
are randomly chosen by each region server in the master cluster as their replication pool.
Each time a batch of edits is shipped to a peer, one region server is chosen from the pre-selected
pool of slave region servers.

I was wondering what the advantage(s) of this approach are compared to each master region
server simply randomly choosing a slave peer from the full set of slave region servers. In
my (probably naive) view, this approach would provide a more even distribution of usage over
the whole slave cluster, and I can't see any real advantages that the current approach has
(although I assume there must be some).

Could someone let me know what the reasoning is behind the current approach?

Thanks,

Gabriel