hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Upcoming merge of snapshots branch into trunk. (HBASE-6055 and HABSE-7290)
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 05:19:57 GMT
On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM, lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org> wrote:

> Eventually we should switch to semantic versioning (like Hadoop).

The -beta stuff?  Nah, at least in Hadoop, it has been arbitrarily applied
(and contended).  Lets not use Hadoop as an example.  We have some
precedent for linux-y odd is unstable, even is stable.  Lets hold to it I'd
say.

> It also depends on the timing of 0.96.
> The fact that two companies want to port this to 0.94 seems to indicate
> low confidence that we can ship a stable 0.96 soon.

I think it is more that 0.96.0 is a singularity.  Including 0.96 in a
downstreamer's bundle only makes sense when the vendor is moving to a new
major version.  These major versions happen on a less frequent cycle.   We
just need to make sure 0.96 is out and well-baked the next time these
cycles come around.

St.Ack