hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hsieh <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Upcoming merge of snapshots branch into trunk. (HBASE-6055 and HABSE-7290)
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 20:49:55 GMT
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-7360 discusses some of
this.   I actually just closed the issue as won't fix from the two

As I mentioned on the jira, I can go either way +/-0 -- currently
there is only rpc-related patches that are different between trunk and
0.94.  This does however mean more overhead from the folks committing
code and testing related to this feature (me, matteo, jesse, ted?),
which had me leaning more -0.

Relatedly, it looks like we've leaned towards having snapshot things
on by default in 0.96/trunk but if we do this in apache 0.94 I'd
suggest keeping it default off.

Jon.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM, lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org> wrote:
> It turns out that both Cloudera and Hortonworks have plans to backport this to 0.94 in
their respective distributions (I don't think that is a secret, apologies if it was).
> This makes it a defacto standard, and would probably point towards porting this to the
public 0.94 as well.

> Maybe we can wait for both HW and Cloudera to finish the backport and stabilize and test
it and then port it to the "official" Apache distribution.

> Thoughts?
>

> -- Lars

>>> https://github.com/jmhsieh/hbase/tree/hbase-6055) and an offline + online
>>> one (HBASE-7290) here