hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ProtoBuf generation?
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2013 20:25:20 GMT
Hadoop 2 requires protoc for building as Alejandro mentions, and an
optimistic read of the future says we will eventually move on from Hadoop
1. protoc is not difficult to download, configure, compile, and install --
and some distros have packages for it. I may have been bitten ~10 times in
2012 for lacking it here and there but that would not be the typical
experience. I was also bitten by needing a recent enough version of Maven.
I see lacking protoc as the same type of build requirement inconvenience.
Seems reasonable to adopt a maven plugin to invoke protoc and a binding of
this to our build targets.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy