hbase-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Upcoming merge of snapshots branch into trunk. (HBASE-6055 and HABSE-7290)
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 05:36:43 GMT
Oh, I meant the 1.0.x, 1.1.x, 2.x.x, etc version. Yeah, the -beta is not a good idea (IMHO).

I have to ask the Cloudera and Hortonworks folks then: Why not wait until 0.96 is stable?
Why backport snapshots to 0.94?

-- Lars

 From: Stack <stack@duboce.net>
To: HBase Dev List <dev@hbase.apache.org>; lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org> 
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:19 PM
Subject: Re: Upcoming merge of snapshots branch into trunk. (HBASE-6055 and HABSE-7290)

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM, lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org> wrote:

Eventually we should switch to semantic versioning (like Hadoop).

The -beta stuff?  Nah, at least in Hadoop, it has been arbitrarily applied (and contended).
 Lets not use Hadoop as an example.  We have some precedent for linux-y odd is unstable,
even is stable.  Lets hold to it I'd say.

It also depends on the timing of 0.96.
>The fact that two companies want to port this to 0.94 seems to indicate low confidence
that we can ship a stable 0.96 soon.

I think it is more that 0.96.0 is a singularity.  Including 0.96 in a downstreamer's bundle
only makes sense when the vendor is moving to a new major version.  These major versions
happen on a less frequent cycle.   We just need to make sure 0.96 is out and well-baked the
next time these cycles come around.

  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message