hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject ANN: The 2nd hbase 0.94.4 release candidate is available for download
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2013 08:15:52 GMT
The 2nd 0.94.4 RC is available for download here: http://people.apache.org/~larsh/hbase-0.94.4-rc1/

Signed with my code signing key: C7CFE328

0.94.4 is a bug fix release. Bigger than expected, this RC has 81 issues resolved against
it, contributed by 25 individuals.
These are mostly bug fixes, some nice performance improvements, and some other other improvements.
This release also includes many test fixes.

The full list of changes is available here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12323367

Please try out the RC, check out the doc, take it for a spin, etc, and vote +1/-1 by January
16th on whether we should release this as 0.94.4.

The release testing spreadsheet is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvLqcVIqNtlTdE9iemw2STVmWHFVMVVNY2JvZ0NwZGc#gid=0
(if you test this release, please add your test to this spreadsheet, so that we can gauge
the coverage)

As I said somewhere before, the rate of bug fixes and improvements that go into 0.94 is truly
impressive.
0.94.3RC0 was announced a mere six weeks ago, and since then we already had over 80 fixes;
that is almost 14 commits/week.
Looking at 0.94.5 - there is no sign of this slowing down. Keep it coming (but don't break
the tests) :)
And I am not even talking about 0.96 where much of the new development happens. HBase is a
very actively maintained project.
A comprehensive and stable test suite as well as frequent, small, and compatible releases
will allow us to manage this rate of change.

Thanks.

-- Lars