hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Anoop John <anoop.hb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase - Secondary Index
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2012 01:17:14 GMT
Hi All
               Thanks for the look and your concerns and comments..
@Jon  Yes the consistency is maintained now. As the put to both the tables
in the same RS this was comparably easy job..More granular details on how
this is being done , I can share in later mails.

Yes as per Jon when the cluster is really big with 100s of RSs, for the
scan it need to visit every region in RSs.  But may be from some regions no
data with the condition present and the scan will end immediately..  We
were also thinking about ways to add some custom blooms so that a special
bloom on the index region can tell whether a column value is present in
that region or not. Didn't try with this and the perf comparison..  Now we
are in the process of profiling and fine tuning..   What we felt is that
the per region indexing would be still better than the full table scan..
Also one main reason for not doing the client based approach where a global
ordered indexing will be there, is the put performance..  In the past when
we have done a fully client based solution ( something like Lily) the put
performance was not meeting our goal as one put was potentially making many
puts..  In our customer case some tables having upto 5 indices...

@Ted, at production level it is yet to get used.. The apps using the
indexing is under the way now...

Good to hear from all so that we can also get more scenarios and concerns
and opinions from experts..:)

-Anoop-