hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jimmy Xiang <jxi...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Handling protocol versions
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:13:10 GMT
+1 for removing VersionedProtocol and SignatureProtocol
+0 for VersionedService/ProtocolDescriptor

If we do have VersionedService/ProtocolDesscriptor, it will most likely be
used in some
mixed environment (most likely, new client and mixed versions of HBase
servers, since old client doesn't
know any new feature, old client doesn't assume an existing feature will be
gone in the future either).

With PB,  I think we are going to support a rolling-upgrade path.  That
means, some mixed
versions of HBase servers can be compatible. For enterprise, I think it is
not that hard to
maintain compatible HBase clusters.  So I don't think it is absolutely
needed.

Thanks,
Jimmy