hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject DISCUSSION: 0.96.0: Purge CoprocessorProtocol and all associated parts of this jettisoned engine?
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:20:35 GMT
Are folks down with purging CoprocessorProtocol in 0.96 and all of its
associated machinery?

For example, Andrew Purtell says "I'd be +1 with dropping
CoprocessorProtocol from 0.96 and up, given all of the other (deliberate)
incompatibilities posed with RPC going from 0.94 to 0.96 and up." [2].

CoprocessorProtocol is how we did dynamic endpoints before 0.96/trunk where
we are moving to protobuf'ing all rpc Interactions.  Dynamic endpoints are
now done using CoprocessorService where you define your endpoint as a
protobuf Service [1].

Cons:
+ Any current coprocessor dynamic endpoint will need to be refactored to
run on 0.96
+ We will have to support two very different underpinnings for an exotic
though critical feature (We'd have to do this if we wanted to deprecate to
purge in another release)

Pros:
+ Purge a bunch of code.  Simplify RPC.  Save a bunch of effort making sure
both mechanisms work.  One, "cleaner" (though perhaps more verbose) way of
implementing dynamic endpoints.

I'm in favor of purge without deprecation.  I've done a few convertions.  I
volunteer to help out anyone who needs to make the transition.

St.Ack

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-6789
2. http://goo.gl/fSTLM