hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: State of protobufs in hbase-0.96
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 21:29:50 GMT
I thought for coprocessors we had decided to only deprecate the old protocol. I'm +1 removing
it, though, because it let's us potentially get rid of all Writables.

________________________________
 From: Gary Helmling <ghelmling@gmail.com>
To: "dev@hbase.apache.org" <dev@hbase.apache.org>; lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com>

Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:45 AM
Subject: Re: State of protobufs in hbase-0.96

For coprocessor endpoints, we have https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-6895 as an
umbrella issue for removing the Writable based CoprocessorProtocol support.

There are still a few subtasks to work through to get there, but once done we can pull out
CoprocessorProtocol, Exec, ExecResult, HTable.coprocessorProxy(), HTable.coprocessorExec()
and any other supporting code.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:54 AM, lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com> wrote:

HBASE-7215 has a rant about the current state of the protobuf work in 0.96... Continuing here...

>HBASE-7215 came about because I simply wanted to add a field to Mutation (Put, Delete,
etc) for HBASE-5954.

>Should be easy now with protobufs, right? Nope!
>
>- Both Put and Delete (and Result, Action, MultiAction, MultiResponse, MultiPut, MultiResponse,
etc, etc, etc) are still implementing Writable and are still used that way.
>- After I dug in I found that Writable is literally all over the place still.
>- In some cases we even serialize an Object as Writable inside a protobuf message.
>- HBaseObjectWritable is still around and still used all over the place
>
>So what we have now has Writables and Protobuf code, worse than it was before (lots of
extra code, two ways to serialize stuff, and still no wire compatibility).