hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject State of protobufs in hbase-0.96
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 18:54:49 GMT
HBASE-7215 has a rant about the current state of the protobuf work in 0.96... Continuing here...

HBASE-7215 came about because I simply wanted to add a field to Mutation (Put, Delete, etc)
for HBASE-5954.

Should be easy now with protobufs, right? Nope!

- Both Put and Delete (and Result, Action, MultiAction, MultiResponse, MultiPut, MultiResponse,
etc, etc, etc) are still implementing Writable and are still used that way.
- After I dug in I found that Writable is literally all over the place still.
- In some cases we even serialize an Object as Writable inside a protobuf message.
- HBaseObjectWritable is still around and still used all over the place

So what we have now has Writables and Protobuf code, worse than it was before (lots of extra
code, two ways to serialize stuff, and still no wire compatibility).

HBASE-7215 will fix some of the stuff, but there's a lot more to do.

-- Lars

View raw message