hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Set scanner caching to a better default? HBASE-7008
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2012 00:46:36 GMT
We have patch now (which also disables Nagle's algorithm): HBASE-7008
The question is now: Should we only do this for 0.96 or also for the upcoming 0.94 point release
(0.94.3).
(See also discussion on the issue)

-- Lars

________________________________
 From: lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com>
To: hbase-dev <dev@hbase.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:25 PM
Subject: Set scanner caching to a better default?

We just ran into this again today, where we forgot to set scanner caching and observed bad
performance.
The default of 1 does not seem to make any sense (except for very specific case of large/wide
rows).

Any value between 10 and 1000 should be OK, really. Maybe the default should be 100.

This would also go some way to avoid the perception that HBase is slow for folks who are just
playing around with it.

Thoughts?

-- Lars