hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques <whs...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase Developer's Pow-wow.
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:40:33 GMT

> All of my use-cases would require Per-table indexes.  Per-region is easier
> to keep consistent at write-time, but is seems useless to me for the large
> tables that hbase is designed for (because you have to hit every region for
> each read).

Can you expound on use cases?  The pros and cons are heavily dependent on
the sparseness of the indexed values and the particular use case.  If we're
talking about a gender column on a user profile table, you really want that
to be spread out among all regions.  If we're talking about an email
address... not so much.