hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: DISCUSSION: Component Lieutenants?
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 20:39:58 GMT
Here is the paragraph I will add to the community chapter of our book
on what I think we worked out by way of policy over the course of this
discussion.

In the below, I dropped the term 'lieutenant' and instead use 'owner'.
 Owner is from Todds' recounting of how google does it above.  Owner,
unlike lieutenant, undoes any implication of hierarchy.

PATCH +1'ing POLICY[1]

The below policy is something we put in place 09/2012.  It is a
suggested policy rather than a hard requirement.  We want to try it
first to see if it works before we cast it in stone.

HBase is made of components[2].  Components have one or more
owners[3].  See the 'Description' field on [1] for who the current
owners are by component.

Patches that fit within the scope of a single HBase component require,
at least, a +1 by one of the component's owners before commit. If
owners are absent -- busy or otherwise -- two +1s by non-owners will
suffice.

Patches that span components need at least two +1s before they can be
committed, preferably +1s by owners of components touched by the
x-component patch (TODO: This needs tightening up but I think fine for
first pass).

Any -1 on a patch by anyone vetos a patch; it cannot be committed
until the justification for the -1 is addressed.

1. http://search-hadoop.com/m/jtoYcKNU7l1 and
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/HBASE/components.
3. Link to Component Owners section (follows)

COMPONENT OWNERS

Component owners are listed in the description field on this page [1].
They are listed in the description field rather than in the 'Component
Lead' field because the latter only allows us list one individual
whereas components are encouraged to have multiple owners.

Owners are volunteers who are (usually, but not necessarily) expert in
their component domain and may have an agenda on how they think their
HBase component should evolve.

Duties:

+ Owners will try and review patches that land within their component's scope.
+ If applicable, if an owner has an agenda, they will publish their
goals or the design toward which they are driving their component

If you would like to be volunteer as a component owner, just write the
dev list and we'll sign you up. Owners do not need to be committers.

Let me know if you'd add or edit above.  Otherwise I'll add it to the
refguide in next day or so.

St.Ack
P.S. I will edit the current list of components and add in those who
have volunteered so far on this thread.  Thanks.