hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: 0.96.0
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2012 17:36:40 GMT
On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Ted Yu <yuzhihong@gmail.com> wrote:
> For a major release whose feature set is so rich, co-release manager would
> help in the following areas:
>
> 1. tackling high priority issues - there are 11 blockers and 22 critical
> issues at the moment.
> 2. HBase has many complex components. It is beneficial for co-release
> manager(s) to take up their areas of expertise. This would expedite release
> process.
> 3. co-release manager would be able to make minor releases, if the release
> manager is tied up in other work or on vacation (and there is critical
> issue reported).
>
> Just some initial thoughts.

1. and 2. above are currently done by contributors.  3. is an
artificial construct.  Minor releases are done by release managers.
If an RM is on vacation or tied up, I'd think they'd have the
wherewithal to hand on the baton.

-1 on the (nebulous) co-RM notion.  "Too many cooks..." etc. and we've
not had need of such a facility making larger releases than 0.96 in
the past.  Projects larger than ours -- e.g. our parent, Hadoop --seem
to do fine having a single RM run a release.

St.Ack