hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hsieh <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: DISCUSSION: Component Lieutenants?
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 22:08:22 GMT
I like Todd's idea in principle but I think there are some problems with
the organization of the code base currently that make this potentially
painful today (did you look at how much code is in hmaster and
regionserver?).  Also some folk's expertise doesn't lay in one hierarchical
tree necessarily.  Because of this I prefer having it per component.  For
areas where components are a little broad (master, regionserver) we could
break them down a little more.  If we actually start using components
consistently it also makes it easier for us to setup jira filters for the
review queues.

I do like the idea of multiple people "owning" an area to avoid
politicking.  For lookup purposes, instead of putting names under a
component lead, we could just use the description field to list folk's name.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE/component/12312140 (what you
get when you click on the rest component link)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE/component/12315702 (what you
get when you click on the hbck component link)

To initially dole out components, we could do it the benevolent dictator
way (stack's velvet glove initially assigns folks), and then folks in the
component can add others.  (likely criteria are similar to commit --
 designs docs presented, authorship of patches, support on mailing list).
 If we add components (like snapshots recently), the authors and authors of
design docs folks get to own it initially.  I think one that that is
important some sort of design info up so that we know how things are
supposed to work.

Jon.

// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// Software Engineer, Cloudera