hbase-dev mailing list archives

From N Keywal <nkey...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TestThriftServerCmdLine seems to need 12 minutes to run.
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 16:02:26 GMT
Done: HBASE-6655

I was thinking about a hard option: changing the fork timeout on build
with the profile "runAllTests". Today is 15 minutes, at the beginning
I would make it around 10 minutes, but with a progressive target of 5
minutes or so. This way, whatever takes too long will be VERY visible.
When running a single test, it would be longer, allowing the user to
debug or monitor as much as he wants...

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 6:54 AM, N Keywal <nkeywal@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Running org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.TestThriftServerCmdLine
>> Tests run: 32, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 733.972 sec
>> That's 12 minutes, not far from the current timeout for a single test
>> (900 seconds).
>> Is there anyone working on this or adding new tests there?
>> As you know,  if the test takes more time because there are new tests
>> in it, it makes sense to break it in smaller pieces to get some
>> parallelization.
>> I've seen as well these ones:
>> Running org.apache.hadoop.hbase.backup.example.TestZooKeeperTableArchiveClient
>> Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 284.153 sec
>> Running org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.encoding.TestChangingEncoding
>> Tests run: 4, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 299.748 sec
>> I had a look at this last one, hopefully it will be reduced by 100s
>> after HBASE-6654.
>> Still, there is a lot of tests around the 3+ minutes execution time.
>> It's better to stick to less than 1 minute as much as we can... If
>> even worth checking this area during the code review I would say.
> Good point N.  I like idea of checking test length as part of review.
> The above tests are mostly new I believe.  We should have done better
> job looking out for long-running tests.  I'd say file an issue on the
> 12minuter.  That should be cut way down or just moved out to be an
> out-of-bound Integration test.
> St.Ack

View raw message