hbase-dev mailing list archives

From N Keywal <nkey...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: fastest way to run tests
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 21:12:58 GMT
Hi Jimmy,

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Jimmy Xiang <jxiang@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Is this a test case issue, or an issue with surefire?

There are issues with surefire, but in this case it's 90% us.

Some of those red jenkins builds are because some tests are killed
> as findHangingTest.sh shows them hanging.

Yeah, surefire should have killed them, but didn't. There is a jira in
surefire for this, it's not a totally trivial fix.

> I was wondering before showing the build red, can we find those tests, then
> run them not in parallel one more time?  This could be done in a jenkin
> build script, right?

Yes it could (it used to exist actually, it's in dev-support). Or even in
surefire, I think I've seen a jira for this. But I don't think it's a good
direction for us:

- issues with parallelisation comes from fixed ports & so on. But on a dev
machine, there are many reasons to have a port taken: you're running a
local cluster, you have whatever software running who took it by accident,
and so on. Tests should run on any reasonable environment.
- Parallelization shows issue because it shakes the machine, but most of
the time a test that fails under parallelization will fail if you try a few
times.
- Test flakiness can actually be HBase flakiness, see for example
HBASE-5569. Or misunderstanding of important stuff as in HBASE-6175.

So I would personally recommend the hard way, i.e. fixing the flaky tests.

The situation is also much better now than a year ago. I year ago it was
impossible for me to get a full run of tests without errors. Now it happens
(sometimes).

Cheers,

N.