hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Porting policy from 0.96+ to 0.94
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:18:18 GMT
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Enis Söztutar <enis@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last time we were talking Lars (H.) raised the issue that we might need a
> stable base while 0.96, and its successors are fully baked in for
> production use. So, it seems that 0.94 branch releases will be a deployment
> target for some time at least on some of the organizations for some time.
> We have been backporting a lot of stuff already from trunk into 0.94, but I
> want to discuss whether  we should establish an "official" policy of what
> should be backported or not. We will definitely want bug fixes in,  but
> what about new UI stuff, or integration tests, etc. If we can agree on
> general guidelines at least, it will be then easier to decide on a
> patch-by-patch basis. What do you guys think?

I'd think that 0.94 branch gets bug fixes only.  Anything else than
that gets confusing.

Do we want to have a 0.96 release that is not pb, branched from 0.94?
Into this 0.96 we'd backport non-pb stuff -- tests and 'safe'
features?

pb could then come out in a 0.98?

(Let me start a 0.96 thread.  I think we're close)

St.Ack