hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: TestThriftServerCmdLine seems to need 12 minutes to run.
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:27:44 GMT
On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 6:54 AM, N Keywal <nkeywal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Running org.apache.hadoop.hbase.thrift.TestThriftServerCmdLine
> Tests run: 32, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 733.972 sec
>
> That's 12 minutes, not far from the current timeout for a single test
> (900 seconds).
> Is there anyone working on this or adding new tests there?
> As you know,  if the test takes more time because there are new tests
> in it, it makes sense to break it in smaller pieces to get some
> parallelization.
>
> I've seen as well these ones:
> Running org.apache.hadoop.hbase.backup.example.TestZooKeeperTableArchiveClient
> Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 284.153 sec
>
> Running org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.encoding.TestChangingEncoding
> Tests run: 4, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 299.748 sec
>
> I had a look at this last one, hopefully it will be reduced by 100s
> after HBASE-6654.
>
> Still, there is a lot of tests around the 3+ minutes execution time.
> It's better to stick to less than 1 minute as much as we can... If
> even worth checking this area during the code review I would say.

Good point N.  I like idea of checking test length as part of review.

The above tests are mostly new I believe.  We should have done better
job looking out for long-running tests.  I'd say file an issue on the
12minuter.  That should be cut way down or just moved out to be an
out-of-bound Integration test.

St.Ack