hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Release Frequency Experiments
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 05:02:27 GMT
As you may or may not have noticed, for 0.94 I'm playing with a "rapid release train" scheme.
The train stops by every few weeks, when a jira is done it'll board the train and be part
of the release, otherwise it simply waits for the next one.

There's a little bit flexibility for important features (especially bug fixes), but I want
cut a release every 4-6 weeks or so

(unless the rate of new jiras slows down significantly).

Could even drive the frequency up, but then we'd need to build out extensive automated integration
testing.

Comments? Is that something people appreciate, or are fewer, larger releases better to ease
the upgrade pain?
(but note that versions of 0.94 are - and will be - compatible with each other, so it is possible
to skip releases and upgrade to the current one).

-- Lars