hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Porting policy from 0.96+ to 0.94
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2012 23:18:56 GMT
Hmm... Reading the other responses... It seems there're more different opinions here.
Thanks for bringing this up Enis.

I can see a 0.96 branched from 0.94 without PB and some of the other 0.96 "singularity" features.
(Although then the question arises: How would that be different from the 0.94.x?)

-- Lars

________________________________
 From: lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com>
To: "dev@hbase.apache.org" <dev@hbase.apache.org>; "hbase-dev@hadoop.apache.org" <hbase-dev@hadoop.apache.org>

Sent: Monday, August 20, 2012 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: Porting policy from 0.96+ to 0.94

Since 0.94 will probably be a long lived version with many releases (thinking about 0.94.2
already),we should back port all changes that:
1. Do not break client/server compatibility (in both directions)

2. Do not break server/server compatibility
3. Do not rely on extensive refactoring that happened only in trunk
4. Are not just cosmetic
5. Do not just represent refactoring without any features added or bugs fixed

It includes bug fixes, performance improvements, even new features, etc.
But nothing that represents risk without an appropriate benefit.

#1 and #2 are hard rules, the rest is obviously subject to interpretation.

In terms of UI changes. We probably want to keep mere face lifts out, but include changes
that provide extra information (new metrics, etc).
We definitely want any integrations tests back ported, unless the supporting changes to non-test
code are extensive.

TL;DR: Back port unless there is a good reason not to; and use good judgment. :)  I'll be
looking at most changes that go into 0.94.

Also, please do not assume that 0.96 is planned as an unstable release. That is not the case
at all. It just might take a while to stabilize.

This is just off the top of my head, and as usual just my $0.02.

-- Lars